Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rev Moe Lester

Scammed.by - changes

64 posts in this topic

Re: Baiterbase - changes Amazing work on this database Moe! I think soon we can choose the color of the lad's eyes... ;D

1 person likes this

Re: Baiterbase - changes Moe, the things that you have done with baiterbase have been amazing. Since the name has been changed, I assume that there is now a redirect from the original domain?

Re: Baiterbase - changes Thanks and nope, both domains do exactly the same thing, no redirect from one to the other

Re: Baiterbase - changes I am now staying in a temporary apartment until my new home is ready (on the 20th May), everything except my clothes is in storage until I move to my new home, even my server. So ScamSearch is now being hosted temporarily on a commercial web host, I could only make a partial backup of the database so only 5000 or so scam emails are on the website, and as it is not being hosted on my server it can not import any new emails. Everything will be back to normal on the 20th May but until then the site will not get any new emails and will only have 5000 old ones available. Don't worry, the 'normal' site is fine, all the 30000 scam emails are safe, it's all stored on my server and will be available again on the 20th May.

Baiterbase - Live scammer email address feed - changes:

- Code for list of email addresses mentioned within emails completely changed to ensure only valid, only scammer email addresses listed
- As a result of the new code, the list takes a long time to load - please bear with it, the changes were definitely for the better as at least nine-tenths of the email addresses are now valid scammer email addresses
- Work being done to shorten the code for the main scammer email address list, at the same time improving reliability of results so no non-scammer addresses and no fake addresses shown
- I am examining the possibility of obtaining IP addresses from the emails received at Baiterbase, this will take some time to work out
- Google Ads to be placed on Baiterbase - unfortunately running costs are exceptionally high and currently nothing is funding the website
- On 31st December 2012 internet provider being switched so Baiterbase may experience some downtime
- On the week of 1st January 2012 telephone provider being switched to same new company so Baiterbase may experience some downtime

Re: Baiterbase - changes Baiterbase is now 100% automated and will now post scam emails written in any language, using any character set :bigjump:

Re: Baiterbase - changes I've been working on Baiterbase all day:onthego: -Google AdSense added :greedy_dollars: though only part approved so far -Formatting tidied up -Code improved so email address lists now just about perfect (no, really, they are this time!) -Option added to view email addresses mentioned within emails from specified date period :smilet-digitalpoint

Re: Baiterbase - changes If I've never said so before, that Baiterbase of yours is an astounding resource and a job well done. We need to put it more front and center on the remodelled site.

1 person likes this

Re: Baiterbase - changes Aye, let me second the above; it's made my job a whole lot easier and I do love to use the site, I point other baiters to it all the time. Damn it mate I'll see what I can do about your funding situation... know I said that months ago but I do mean it!

1 person likes this

Re: Baiterbase - changes If Google Adwords gets any money in I'd be surprised, but happy. I know the last thing potential scam victims want to do is to click on ads but it's all I can really do at the moment. As I've only accessed the site from my home network since the changes, are the email lists unbearably slow? I'm having to fork out £40 on a new monitor, speaking of money (new as in some old CRT) as my CRT decided to start to die after 15 1/2 years (would no longer work with desktop - made desktop lock up if plugged in - and with the one computer I could find that it did work with the VGA cable (any I tried, I tried a few cables) would get too hot to touch!

Re: Baiterbase - changes Moe, PM me your Paypal addy.

Re: Baiterbase - changes LordCo, no - couldn't do that! Very kind of you but honestly it's fine - if I can get an advertiser or sponsor on my site then they'd be paying for advertising space. I just mentioned the monitor because it came as a complete surprise and almost caused an electrical fire (molten cables and that rather distinct smell!)

Re: Baiterbase - changes Electrical fires are always fun... enjoy the cleanup! But seriously would you ever take donations? There is no shame in accepting something since your service is quite simply great. I want to give out grants and crap at some point in the near future as part of my whole project; there's just not enough capital in the volunteer baiter side of things to make baiting as powerful as it could be. As for the email list, what am I meant to see? Looked the same as always, loaded up the list but I have no way of telling that it is the full one. The page was refreshing for a long time however and crashed when I asked it to stop. Perhaps there is a way around? Does the list have to be live for instance? Could you just have the thing harvest all the email addys daily and then post them up, adding to the list each day rather than doing it on demand? No idea what your setup is but perhaps you can share and we'll recommend.

Re: Baiterbase - changes The lists have changed a lot internally and there is quite a difference. In the past I noticed a few genuine, spoofed email addresses (like @natwest.co.uk or .gov addresses) would show up as well as some at non-existant domains, and many non-addresses (like "from" or words like that) would make their way in. Also where the scammer didn't leave a space between a word and an email address, that word would be included with the email address. All that's been fixed now. As I changed the script for the 'within the message body' email addresses, 10 times as many addresses are now included and the same issues as above used to be present but with this email list there were a lot more 'incorrect' addresses. So I've made sure only proper scammer email addresses at genuine domains are included. I could run a 'cron job' to update the list every now and then but almost 200 emails a day are added so the list would always be a bit behind, and too few people use the lists to warrant that kind of server or bandwidth usage (the server is from 2000 and can take a lot, but I don't want the elderly hard drives to suffer wear - I've replaced 2 already and they cost a lot for this machine). I did have a donate button there until I made the changes but none came in and it looked tacky (as do the ads, but they will bring money in I hope) so I removed it. The 'message body' email list does take a while but I think the reply-to list would suffice for most and people can copy the list while the page is still loading or load 'reply-to's or 'mentioned' addresses from a set date range. You'd be amazed how many load if you set the list to show addresses from one day ago!

Re: Baiterbase - changes Moe let's talk, you have my email addy I think. I've got ideas for this and some other crap I could do with running past you too if you have a moment but as I've said to you before baiterbase has made my work so much easier... I'm being serious when I say it's saved me weeks of work time so far.

Re: Baiterbase - changes Email sent to the address you registered with And thanks again, LordCo!

Re: Baiterbase - changes The baiterbase is a greeeat tool, I use it very often one or two times per month.. it saves me so much time and it works fine, very good work guys thank you! :thumbup:

1 person likes this

Re: Baiterbase - changes Thanks, and I added an RSS feed to it which LordCo set up to feed to this forum, so all the scam emails are also available off the forum index (the subforum in red)

Re: Baiterbase - changes I've now changed internet provider and, this being England, there will be a ten day period (from yesterday, 2-Jan) where my connection will be intermittent, frequent outages, while everything is configured at the phone exchange. I host Baiterbase myself so the same applies to Baiterbase.co.uk and the two Baiterbase feeds on this site (there will be much less content in the feeds as the server is often offline). Everything will be back to normal on the 12th, hopefully :) In other news, I set up a scheduled task on the server so now both feeds on this site are fully automated, at midnight GMT the server will generate a list of scammer email addresses used in the last 24 hours ready to be imported by this site.

Re: Baiterbase - changes Well... seems the server is trying to catch up when it's online, 165 scam emails just added to TSB!

Re: Baiterbase - changes Today I made it look a lot nicer, it's now using the script I put together from scratch to harvest emails, headers, IPs, all that, and it now doesn't play up in Internet Explorer

Re: Baiterbase - changes More major changes: -Site header changed to accommodate all the links I wanted to fit there -Proper site search added, results are live as it directly searches the database (unlike Google which indexes), it searches the email addresses/IPs/subject/message and even the email header, displaying all the scam email results like on the main list -Click on the from/reply-to address or the IP to view all scam emails with the same from/reply-to/IP -Page formats tidied up -Scam IP map now asks how many points to show, it was too slow when it displayed all 20,000 -Pages to manually input email/reply-to/IP to view any scam emails from that email/IP or with that reply-to address Basically a lot has changed! See baiterbase.co.uk to see them in action

1 person likes this

Re: Baiterbase - changes This baterbase rocks! It looks great like this and is very useful.. awesome job Moe! :thumbup:

Re: Baiterbase - changes I've played around with the code some more I changed the HTML - The site now validates as 'correct' XHTML 1.0 I also changed the SQL queries on the homepage - The homepage should load much much faster (it does for me, anyway!)

Re: Baiterbase - changes Yes, it does seem to be much zippier.

Re: Baiterbase - changes Baiterbase theme changed, check out Baiterbase - Scam email and email address automated database now Added the option to click on the column headers to sort the columns by those headers (i.e. you can now sort scams by email address, subject, date, id), the site now also has a FAQ/About page and a contact form

1 person likes this