Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

What is a 419 scam?

Guest Guest

Here we will discuss what are advanced fee fraud scams and other scams. OK a 419 scam is named so after the Nigerian laws that it violates. I will assume its section 419 of some code in that God forsaken country? That said lets talk about some of the older forms of 419 as to save time I will copy the text of wiki and paste it here. I will comment on this later. The following is from the fine folks at Wikipedia

An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain. Among the variations on this type of scam, are the Nigerian Letter (also called the 419 fraud, Nigerian scam, Nigerian bank scam, or Nigerian money offer), the Spanish Prisoner, the black money scam as well as Russian/Ukrainian scam (also widespread, though far less popular than the former). The so-called Russian and Nigerian scams stand for wholly dissimilar organised-crime traditions; they therefore tend to use altogether different breeds of approaches. Although similar to older scams such as the Spanish Prisoner, the modern 419 scam originated in the early 1980s as the oil-based Nigerian economy declined. Several unemployed university students first used this scam as a means of manipulating business visitors interested in shady deals in the Nigerian oil sector before targeting businessmen in the west, and later the wider population. Scammers in the early-to-mid 1990s targeted companies, sending scam messages via letter, fax, or Telex. The spread of e-mail and easy access to e-mail-harvesting software significantly lowered the cost of sending scam letters by using the Internet. In the 2000s, the 419 scam has spurred imitations from other locations in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe, and, more recently, from North America, Western Europe (mainly United Kingdom and Netherlands), and Australia. The number "419" refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code (part of Chapter 38: "Obtaining Property by false pretences; Cheating") dealing with fraud. The American Dialect Society has traced the term "419 fraud" back to 1992. The advance-fee fraud is similar to a much older scam known as the Spanish Prisoner scam in which the trickster tells the victim that a rich prisoner promised to share treasure with the victim in exchange for money to bribe prison guards. An older version of this scam existed by the end of 18th century, and is called "the Letter From Jerusalem" by EugA¨ne Francois Vidocq, in his memoirs. Insa Nolte, a lecturer of University of Birmingham's African Studies Department, stated that "The availability of e-mail helped to transform a local form of fraud into one of Nigeria's most important export industries." (Though in fact, Nigeria's total exports are more than $65 billion per year; even by conservative estimates, 419 fraud comes to less than 0.5% of this total.) Embassies and other organizations warn visitors to various countries about 419. Countries in West Africa with warnings cited include Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Togo, Senegal and Burkina Faso. Countries outside West Africa with 419 warnings cited include South Africa, Spain and the Netherlands.
This covers the actual scam, I want to talk about Romance scams or sweet heart scams. This is the same as 419 with the victim being targeted on a dating website. Allot of times the romance scam is used to get a victim for the next of kin or help move my boxes full of cash out of Africa. These scammers are trying every way they can to get some victims. A scammer will steal from anyone. They may want to lead you to believe that they only target westerners but that is a crock of shit. They steal from their fellow Countries folks as easily as they would any other mark. How does 419 fraud affect its victims? I have been dealing with these low lives for years and have heard some horror stories. Some victims take their lives due to shame coupled with hopelessness after loosing all they had. Some victims were told to fly to Africa where they were robbed and held hostage and beaten until a family member sent money. I most cases the victim is murdered and dumped in the country side. Never to be heard from again. Its necessary you know who you are dealing with. These are criminals. They would cut your head off if they were in your area. This is why safety is number one. Before all else we must bait safely. More will be added as time allows.