Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Safety First Things you need to do before baiting.

Guest Guest

This is a short instruction on safe baiting. Scam baiting is allot of fun and generally a all around goof. On the other end of that is the people we will be baiting are in fact criminals. Much like you would not give a criminal your address you do not want to give a scammer any real details about you. This is not limited to half names or partial addresses. This info can lead to your real details through a internet search. Much like your characters can be searched so may your details. The first issue I want to address is IP addresses. A IP address is much like your home address. This is a number that resolves to your computers local. A safe baiter uses a email provider that masks the IP address. I know of a few we will discuss that later. The first thing you will need to do is learn to trace a IP address. This may differ from email providers. With msn hotmail or any service from msn will be traced the same way. First choose the email you want to trace. Next you will right click on that message and a menu will open. You want to select show original or full headers. This will open the full headers and you will see where the email resolves to. The last IP is usually the original IP. You can use a website to check your IP by going here. http://headertool.apelord.com/  Just paste your header info into the box and click the search button. The reason this is necessary so you know where your scammer is. We will talk more about that later. If you are checking for headers in yahoo mail depending on what type of yahoo mail you use eg: classic or Plus? In classic its located at the bottom right hand side of your browser it will show a tab that says full headers. Click that tab and you will get full headers. In classic it located at the top on the right hand side of the message pane It will show a tab for options. Click on that tab and it opens a drop down menu on that menu select full headers. When using gmail you will locate the tab on the right hand side next to the reply tab a arrow is there. Click on that arrow and it will show a drop down menu. In that menu select show original message. In aol just go into settings and select always show full headers. This option is likely available in other mail providers. I will add more as time permits. The above covers the major providers. Ok now we know how to trace a email. Lets talk about safe providers. http://www.gmail.com  www.safe-mail.net  www.hushmail.com and  www.fastmail.fm the above providers all block your IP info I have tried all of them and use them daily. The problem is with keeping the accounts active with hushmail and fastmail. If you do not log in at least once every 30 days they will close the account. gmail is good and has plenty of storage. safemail I am not sure but I think its good without logging in periodically. Now we know what mail services are safe for us cause they hide our details. We need to discuss identification. Many of you will be tempted to chop a fake ID. This is not a good idea. When you send the lads that ID they will use it to scam a innocent victim. The best thing to do is send them a file destructor file. Just go here. http://www.xnet.se/fd/ or rename a large file that they can't open. You may want to send in a over exposed image. Phone numbers, You can get a free K7 number here   http://k7.net/ This will allow you to have your lad leave you messages and you may read them on your pc and they will be recorded so you can share your calls with others. Google voice this is done by invite I was able to request a invitation here    https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/  Once you have this its a wonderful tool. Lets talk about words you may hear and what they mean. Lets start with (lads) lads are scammers usually from West Africa. However any scammer may be considered a lad. (Vlad) A Vlad is the equal of a lad except they are from Russia or Romania and are much smarter then lads. Vlads are not likely to do regular 419 scams they tend to do e bay auction scams and romance scams. Vlads are not as easy to bait as lads. (Usman Bello) Usman Bello strikes fear into the hearts of scammers. Usman is known to steal the jobs or money sent to scammers who work hard to get the fee only to learn Usman chopped the dollah. lol  (Chop) This means to steal or take from another scammer without doing the work. A scammer is working a maga and after a month of hard work he geos to western union to collect the funds only to find out it was collected by Usman Bello. Ooooooooooo! Mugu or Maga A mugu is usually the victim in the scam. The big fool, The looser. Maga is how a scammer will speak to another scammer of his victim. They are very alike. Oga or Chairman Oga is how a scammer addresses his boss or manager. Chairman is the same in context. This is not part of the safety issue but should be covered with safety to save space. OK we covered just about all the major issues. Some of you will want to receive things from your scammers. I do not suggest this because unless you have a PO box or a some private box its dangerous to have a scammer get your details. Also note if a fake money order or check or any fake financial instrument is sent through the US Postal service or other mail services may be followed by a federal agent. I have not done this and do not endorse it. It should only be done by those with allot of experience in baiting. Lets talk about the more serious side of scam baiting. You may gather information from your lad that may help law enforcement to investigate the scammer. You may get stolen credit card info. These things should be reported to a admin or moderator promptly as they will get the info to the people who can take action. You may come across victims that are in danger of sending money to these bastards. All this may and sometimes does happen in the everyday baiting you do. This is why the header info is necessary so the law enforcement can use that to show where the email originated from. Websites and Banks. You will stumble on fake websites and fake banks. Again the header info is necessary to have these sites terminated. If you get a website or bank that is fishy pm a mod or admin and they will investigate and take necessary action. Google is your friend, If you want to know about your scammers history you can easily do a google search of the email address the IP address phone number or even a block of text from the email. More times then not if the scammer is active they will have a history listed in google. Unfortunately this works both ways. The scammer may google your email address or character or details you give them. To avoid this its best to change some details when posting to the website. Say your email address is [email protected] you should xxxxx out the Ima_baiter part. This must be done with your scammers email address as well. [email protected]  This will protect you in two ways. First it will keep guest and trolls from sending your scammer a email telling him he is being baited. "Yes it happens all the time." Second it will keep the web crawlers from picking up your email address. You may want to change character names as well. Files sent by scammers. Never ever open a file sent by a scammer. If you need to open it first go to a site that scans it for nasties. Some files are more likely to be safe.  like jpg,jpeg,gif,png,tif,tga and bmp. Never open exe or scr these are sent to infect your pc. If you trust your providers scanners then thats on you. Never believe a scammers story. If the scammer is talking he is telling lies. Never feel sorry for scammers. They will try to get your sympathy I say look in the dictionary under S. lol I am pretty sure we touched base on all the major issues. If something was missed it will be added at a later time. The best advice I can give is use your common sense and the rest will fall into place. Oh yea don't send a scammer a virus as it hurts the cafe owner and the other folks that use the pc. A baiter never wants to hurt innocent people or involve them in the bait.

Guest Guest

Re: Safety First Things you need to do before baiting. The lads do not usually bother with virus but we do need to be alert for them as we are dealing with some unsavory criminals. Here are some free anti-virus programs to help us. Most will work happily together but some may not, so just try them out and uninstall the ones you are not keen on. http://www.malwarebytes.org/ This has proved to be a very good AV. http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php A good general purpose program. http://www.threatfire.com/ I used this and was very happy with it. One update interfered with skype but I understand this has been fixed. http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage An old standby bit still performs well. http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en....htm?lid=en-us Another old favorite, look for and download the free version. http://www.stopzilla.com/products/st...=CJitn8yg1qICF Re5bwodYENJqA Look for the free version, I think it has a free one. http://www.avast.com/index I have not used it but it come's highly recommended by many reliable baiters. http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,4796,00.asp Here is a new one from a trusted source along with some interesting information for us all. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ The official Microsoft one, It should be put on automatically but MS make you download it. Only workable if you are running a genuine copy of windows.

Re: Safety First Things you need to do before baiting. Thanks for the info, Merlin. Just to add my advice: I use Microsoft Security Essentials, DON'T! I can't get rid of it as the uninstaller is faulty on my PC. It has slowed it down TREMENDOUSLY! AND it hasn't stopped any viruses from wreaking havoc! I used Avast in the past, great AV. Avira is also very good, in my experience AVG slows your computer down but I don't know about now, apparently it's got quicker. MalwareBytes' main use is to remove viruses. If you think you're infected download and run MalwareBytes, it picks up everything and removes everything. Comodo antivirus is a good onw, though a bit oversensitive.

Re: Safety First Things you need to do before baiting. I strongly second the advice of using Linux. Ubuntu is a breeze to install and get running for an average Windows user for the most part. It is as simple as downloading "wubi" from ubuntu.com. Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu This program creates a dual boot setup for Windows users via a virtual file system. To uninstall it, it is as simple as running Wubi again and choosing "uninstall." While it is not highly likely that you will be dealing with the most technologically savvy individuals on the other end of the scam, some will be more than schooled in the use of malware. The use of a Linux operating system will protect you as their games will likely be against Windows users. It's not a sure bet. But, it is minimizing risk to a significant degree. The other piece of advice I would give, which is absolutely essential, is to make sure you are anonymous from the start. To do this, download the "Tor Browser Bundle" from https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en The Tor Browser Bundle will run your connection through an ever changing chain of 3 middle-man proxies. Create all of your contact accounts through the Tor Browser Bundle and use it for any baiting related activity you engage in. Yahoo mail works fine with it. This is a paranoid approach. However, it negates any risk of you ever exposing your true IP address, whether through a scammer tricking you to clicking on a bad link to possibly hacking into any of your accounts. All they will get, if they are successful in such subterfuge, is the IP address of the Tor Exit Node that connected to the service you use. If there is more interest in this, I could write up a more detailed tutorial on how to run everything, from chat clients to e-mail, over Tor. I really cannot emphasize the use of Tor enough here. The people that we are dealing with are sometimes incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to the manipulation of computers. Thus, hiding your IP address at all vectors is of the utmost importance. One additional note for safety purposes. If a scammer sends you a PDF file that you feel you need to open, at the bare minimum, disconnect your network connection before viewing it. Opening it on a Linux OS through an account without root/admin privileges while disconnected is even better.

I have another little suggestion here...... I am not sure how many of you have heard of Raspberry PI? No? Ooh, have a look at this! Raspberry PI is a computer (of Sorts) It runs a bastardised version of Linux, but can be set up to run other OS such as Python etc. It comes with a web browser, and the expensive verion even as an Ethernet port. I does have a couple of USB ports and can accept a webcam. OK, I can hear you all crying out that this is pretty crap spec.... but when you consider that at places such as Maplin, RS components or Farnell (Element 14) you can pick a full starter kit (power supply, PI, case, memory card, mouse and keyboard) for under A£40.00 you can see the advantages. Not fast, not pretty, but small and cheap!!!! I will be baiting in future using one of these units..... :D that prevents any risk to my normal system!

Guest Guest

Re: Safety First Things you need to do before baiting. Shazam. Following on from the good advice posted above by Ram D. As baiters we deal with some very unsavory characters known as scammers. While this has not been a real problem in the past, the scammers are increasingly using malware (virus) in their scams especially those scammers who use fake websites. As a result we need to keep our anti-virus up to date and scan often. One of the things we need to watch out for are what we call *keyloggers" they enable a hacker to see everything on your computer including passwords. To detect and remove a keylogger you need what is called an Anti-root kit. Your standard anti virus may not detect a Keylogger. There is a very good free anti-root kit called 'Sophos" and the link is below for you to use. Look for the free version. cheers :cheers:http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html

Guest Guest

Re: Safety First Things you need to do before baiting. As baiters we need to be as anonymous as we can in order to avoid problems with scammers who are criminals and usually have the ethics of criminals. Once we become baiters it is a good idea to become invisible as far as our real life information is concerned. This means we never give out any personal information to anyone on the internet if the information is not on the web then it cannot be used against us. Many baiters use windows operating systems, so do need to take extra care to insure their own safety. Other OS could be worth looking at. While no OS is perfectly safe, the hackers do tend to concentrate their efforts on the OS that are the most widely used IE windows, so switching to another OS could make it harder for the hackers to gain access to your systems. This brings up the question of switching to a Mac. While safer than windows the sometimes extra cost can be a deterrent so is there a safer system than Windows that will not break the bank? Yes there is, and the best part is that it is FREE! One of the Linux systems is 'UBUNTU" a free download and you can run it alongside Windows if you wish so you have the choice when booting up which system to use. If you are unsure you can always use an older spare Pc (if available) and try it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and you should be safer. http://www.ubuntu.com/

Re: Safety First Things you need to do before baiting. Or just use an Antivirus which protects against hackers (i.e has a firewall). Windows has a poor firewall built in. I use Windows 7 at work and Windows 2000 and Windows 98SE at home and have never been hacked. My advice is, if you are afraid your computer has a keylogger or some malware download malwarebytes and run it to see if you have any of that installed, if you do it will remove it for you for free. Sometimes you will need to run it in safe-mode (tap F8 when the bios startup screen has just finished and you should get a list of options, choose safe-mode) to remove everything, as only the bare necessities will load in safe-mode, the viruses and key-loggers will not.